This Wilderness First Aid skill set is an ideal course for those that work in the outdoors. Tourism providers, trades that work in remote location, mining industry and regional council workers could all benefit from this course.
Aligned to the National Skill Set SISSS00108 ‘Wilderness First Aid’. Successful completion awards participants with the following Nationally Accredited Units of Competency.
Course components Include:
- SISOOPS305A ‘Provide First Aid in a Remote Situation’
- SISXEMR201A ‘Respond to an Emergency’
- SISXEMR402A ‘Coordinate and Emergency Response’
- SISOHS101A ‘Follow defined OH&S Policies’
Duration: 3 days plus pre-work
Prerequisites: HLTAID003 – Provide First Aid
Who should do a Wilderness First Aid Skill Set ?
- Outdoor Guides / Instructors
- Remote Industrial Workers
- Emergency response and Search and Rescue operators
What is covered:
The following topics will be covered:
- DRSABCD Action Plan,
- Unconscious Patient,
- First Aid Principles and Guidelines,
- Planning & Preparation for a Remote Location,
- Fractures, Dislocations, Sprains and Strains,
- Spine Management,
- Coordinating and Emergency,
- Asthma, Anaphylaxis,
- Hypothermia, Hyperthermia,
- Bites and Stings, Abdominal Injuries,
- Head Injuries,
- Respiratory Emergencies,
- Chest Pain,
- Multiple Causalities.
How will I be assessed?
There will be pre-work which will involve written answers and multiple choice questions.
The rest of the assessment will be practical scenarios covering all aspects of Wilderness First Aid.